A List Of Opinion Essay Topics On The Annexation Of Crimea
While writing an opinion essay on a historical subject such as World War Two can still be incredibly compelling, nothing beats a paper that is based around fairly recent events. Russia is increasingly choosing to engage in a dangerous game of cat and mouse with the west and has significantly upped the stakes with its intervention in Syria to aid President Bashar Al Assad. If you have been tasked with writing a piece on the annexation of Crimea but are struggling to come up with a topic, here is a list that you can hopefully draw some inspiration from:
- Was Russia right to annex Crimea on March 21st 2014 cite your reasons behind this
- Was Russia wrong to annex Crimea on March 21st 2014 cite your reasons
- Are there any parallels to be drawn between the recent annexation of Crimea in 2014 by the Russian Federation and the annexation of the country by the Russian Empire in 1783?
- Did the wider unrest in the region, particularly in the Ukraine give The Russian Federation moral grounds to move in and stake its claim on the country?
- Does the incursion have implications beyond Crimea’s borders, for example Eastern European countries such as Poland, Lithuania or Estonia?
- Why does President Putin feel so emboldened? Does the fact that America has a lame duck President in the form of Barack Obama impact upon this?
- In your opinion would Russia dare to have been so aggressive over Crimea if there was a more aggressive President, for example Donald Trump in the White House? Is Putin simply seizing the opportunity while he can?
- In your opinion, do the historical links between Crimea and Russia give Russia moral grounds to behave in the manner in which it has?
- Is the 1994 Budapest Memorandum worth the paper that it is written on?
- In your opinion does Russian behavior in Crimea and to a certain extent Syria, prove that it believes NATO to be toothless. How far is Russia going to be allowed to go before Western nations step in and challenge it?
- In your opinion, does the situation in Crimea bring the prospect of an all-out nuclear war with Russia any closer?
- What does Russia’s actions in Crimea say about it’s overall intentions in the region? Does this indicate that Putin has Hitler style ambitions. Is the west right to be concerned?